18 - Newspapers in North Judson

posted Nov 4, 2015, 1:11 PM by North Judson-Wayne Township Public Library   [ updated Nov 4, 2015, 1:11 PM ]
Before the North Judson News, which was established around 1897 and continued until 1976, there were several unsuccessful attempts made in the early days of North Judson to establish a local newspaper, as noted: 

The first in 1869 the North Judson Courier, C. C. Post Editor
The North Judson News in 1876, J. L. Sweeney, Editor and Publisher
The North Judson Banner and North Judson Cyclone in 1883 with Joseph Carmin, Editor

The March 1, 1884 issue of the North Judson Cyclone shows F. A. Brown, the Editor.  A copy of this issue is now owned and in the possession of Carl Lemke, the front pages printed in English and the back pages printed in the German language.  The present North Judson News was established in 1889.  Among the early Editors were Simon Bybee, an Attorney, J. Don Gorrell and Harry Warvel.  For eighteen years Chester A. McCormick edited and published the paper selling it to Lewis Kren in 1924.  Upon his death in 1940 Mrs. Kren took over the management and with the assistance of Miss Louise Miller ably published the paper for 23 years, or until January 1, 1963, when she sold it to the Judson Publishers Inc., the present owners.  Mr. Myron Sands is in charge as Managing Editor, with Miss Miller continuing at her desk. 

(From the North Judson Centennial Booklet, 1966)



Comments