1. The Library Board and staff of the North Judson-Wayne Township Public Library are committed to providing a setting that is welcoming and conductive to education, study and recreational reading. All individuals who make use of the library are expected to comply with standards of behavior, which will allow the library to maintain such a setting. Any person(s) whose behavior falls outside this guideline may be asked to leave by library personnel. Further, any person(s) who violates the rules and regulations of the North Judson-Wayne Township Public Library may be denied the privilege of access to the library or library property by the library director or her designee.
2. The following describes behaviors for which any individual(s) may be asked to leave the library and/or library property. These examples are by no means exhaustive.
3. Creation of a public disturbance, including, but not limited to:
a. loud talking, laughing and yelling
b. boisterous socializing
c. running and playing
d. throwing objects
e. loud playing of listening devices
f. playing with library equipment (OPACSs, etc.)
4. Any behavior/activity which distracts others from their use of educational, study or recreational reading activities available in the library including, but not limited to:
a. possession of alcohol
b. public intoxication
c. illegal drugs or weapons
d. smoking or use of other tobacco products
e. use of obscene language, actions or gestures
f. harassment (verbal/written)
h. abusive behavior, verbal/physical
k. public indecency
Any deviant or abusive behavior, whether in general or
directed at any specific person or persons.
Any prolonged use of the facilities by adults or minors
without a demonstrated engagement in library activities.
Damage, defacement or destruction of library materials,
equipment or facilities.
Any situation in which a person is observed in an attempt to
steal library property or that of another Library user or employee, or to
maliciously destroy property of the library, a library patron or employee.
9. Standard library services do not include child care. Thus, to provide a SAFE and welcoming environment conductive to library use the following rules must be observed:
a. Children under the age of 6 must have a parent or adult care giver with them during their visit to the Library.
b. Children ages 6 to 12 who are unable to get home by themselves must have a parent or adult care giver in the Library with them.
c. Children being disruptive will be warned. If their behavior does not cease, the child will be asked to leave the Library or the parent/ adult care giver will be asked to remove the child from the library.
d. Unattended children may be referred to child protective services.
In situations where users ignore warnings or library personnel
feel threatened for themselves or other library patrons, the appropriate
authorities will be contacted.
Repeat violators and/or persons who refuse to leave when
requested will be subject to arrest and prosecution under Section 35-43-2-2 of
the Indiana Code entitled ‘Criminal Trespass.’
Two oral warnings will be given for violations of the rules in
number 1 above that do not pose safety concerns. One oral warning will be given
for violations in section two. After the oral warnings, the offender will be
denied library privileges for one month. Future violations can lead to
permanent denial of library privileges. Library privileges will be suspended
immediately for violations that compromise the safety of staff or patrons.
13. Minors, who continue to engage in disturbances (as described in number 1 above) after two oral warnings may be denied library privileges except when a parent brings them, stays with the minor and supervises the minor during library utilization.